Monday, April 13, 2015

The Fence [Goal #1]

Fixing the gate is one of our #1 priorities. For the sake of Rosedog and for the sake of security. But if you know my husband, you know that he doesn't just want to fix the existing fence. He wants to make it his own. And I jumped on board. 
That gate has seen better days. It doesn't close. The wheel that was once attached is lying in the flowerbeds. The recycle can is blocking a giant hole in the fence and protecting us from what we believe to be a somewhat viscous Rottweiler. Even the owner (and our new neighbor) describes the creature as having some "issues." A little unnerving as a mother of a curious and animal loving baby.  The troubled beast is for another time. Back to the fence/gate!

Here are the Before photos.
The view from the side patio out to the East.

Ok. Here is the plan.

We are going to extend the fence about 10 feet forward, create a new gate (which eventually, when we have the money will be motorized, allowing us to pull in the backyard), and enclose the side patio for more privacy. We plan on using the side patio as our main grilling/outdoor eating area for the time being until we can put some major work in on the backyard. The new gate/fence will be 6 feet tall and we are looking at doing horizontal planks for a fresh feel. 

When we bought Verde Street, I knew I wanted to keep most elements of the home true to the 1920's feel. However, I am a modern girl. I want things updated. I was talking to a designer friend and asking her about this dilemma. How do we combine modern elements with '20s design and have it feel effortless. Her response, "And there lies the struggle."

So, I am going for it. I'm going with my gut and adding in modern elements. And praying that combining things I love just 'goes.'

And yes, all of this fence business is going down simultaneously as the flooring stuff and the packing stuff and the Jayson-going-to-urgent-care stuff [he is fine, by the way]. After a two hour trip to the urgent care after cutting his finger with the table saw, he actually went back and FINISHED patching the floor. The man is a stud and crazy.
[Here is a little preview of the floor progress made yesterday! This is where the floor furnace was! Time to sand, stain and seal! ]

3 fence posts are in the ground and the cement is drying. And I am sure 9-and-a-half-finger-Jay is busy at some project. He cannot be stopped.

Follow me on pinterest to view more Verde Street Inspiration!

1 comment: