Sunday, April 12, 2015

Goal #5

Resealing or refinishing the hardwood floors was the last goal on our 5-item short list. I know what you are thinking. They look good. Don't spend the time and effort. 

But when you see them in person, there was some rough spots . 
Huge gaps, a rotted out board, water damage. 
I wanted the floor furnace gone. That corner offers usable space and when this room only offers about 350ish sq ft of living space, every nook and corner counts. 
And we thought, it will be way easier to work on them now when the house is empty then to do it after we move in with a baby wanting to crawl around the floor.
And we are do-ers and jay is confident. So we went for it.
Before we did anything, Jayson researcher. And over researched. And read. And thought about the steps it takes. And looked up where to rent an industrial sander. And practiced using an imaginary industrial sander[I'm really not joking. He even revealed his imaginary sanding practice to our bible study last week and I responded with, "you guys really don't even know how weird he is yet."] He borrowed tools from a contractor friend and got advice from him. Talked to some flooring people. And then called me and told me every detail. I explained to him that it was hard for me to visualize what he was talking about because I was not there and he replied,"I know. I just like talking about it." 
[I love his thoughtfulness and how detailed he is. We may have to come up with an alternative if he wants to discuss every detail of every project from here on out. Someone want to be a stand-in for me?]
First thing he did was take out the floor furnace. [I foresee a fun DIY for re-purposing that floor grate!]
Then he chiseled out the boards that he was going to patch with new flooring.
He put in new support beams where the floor furnace used to be and then patched the hole.
And there is always time for some tomfoolery to showcase your hard work. 

And then came the patching of the floor.
Which got interrupted with a trip to urgent care. 
And just for memories sake, here is our conversation while he is at urgent care:
Me:OMGosh! Are you okay?? What happened?
J: I'm fine. I cut myself on the tablesaw. I was just working too fast.
Me: Oh no! I'm so sorry. Did you hit the bone? Do you need stitches?
J: I don't know, I can't tell. No, no stitches. It is more like a chunk. 
(Pause)
J: I'm afraid I won't be able to pitch right anymore.
Me: You'll be able to pitch (me thinking this is an odd concern)... I mean, I think your glory days of pitching are kinda over.
J: Yeah.... I guess so.

Here's to hoping that is the first and last time projects for Verde Street send Jay to urgent care. 

We are going on Day 3 of working on the floors, so I will be be sure to show the rest of the process and the final results.For now, I think Sunday is telling us to take a break and get some rest.


4 comments:

  1. Hahaha I really enjoyed this, especially about the imaginary sander. You have always been the voice of logic when it comes to unreasonable concerns lol. Miss you all and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh! I am so glad to know that you are following along! And you are the 4th person to comment, so that is fun. I'm glad you got a kick out of the imaginary sander. Wish you were here to get a kick out of in real life. I can hear your laugh now...

      Delete
  2. You two are perfect for this house. 9 fingers or 10. Someday Casey will tell all the kids stories of his dad in his glory days...and then the tragic story of when it was taken away from him. Womp womp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS That "issues" dog makes me real nervous.

    ReplyDelete