Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Doors

Things are coming along. At least with one project.

The doors!
 When we moved in, we knew we needed to replace this set of french doors that lead out to the side patio. They didn't lock. There wasn't a good seal. Some glass was cracked. And let's face it, they were 90 years old. We like the style of doors because it fit the character of the home. We were interested in replacing them with wood 10 lite doors, but let's remember we are on a tight budget. 
 We also needed to replace the back door that leads into the backyard from the laundry room. This door was super janky. Lame kitty door. Didn't seal. Ugly window. No character.

A while back, I posted about our door inspiration for these two upgrades. I met a door contractor at a local door place (G.H. Slack and Son for anyone local) and got to see door options. I was adamant that I wanted wood doors so that it would match the character of our little charmer. (Wood was the way to go because they can be trimmed to fit the jam as where composite cannot.) And I also thought I really wanted 10 lite doors for the french doors. But after learned that if we got single lite doors with dual panes, we would say about $450, we went with the single panes. I was a little unsure of how the style would go well, but I am glad that we saved the money and went with the cheaper option. They are a bit more modern and easy to clean. We also opted to prime and paint the doors ourselves to save a bit more money.

Side patio door being painted.
For the back door, we got a six lite for a bit of character. I LOVE it. Especially because we went with the more modern doors in the dining room. Love the charm.
 Here it is primed, ready to be painted!
We decided to go with the "scrape the paint off the glass with the razorblade" approach. We may or may not have done that step yet.
 Here are the side doors after being painted. We went with a very dark gray. Almost black. I am so happy we didn't just stick with white... It adds something special to them.
And the back door! 

And of course, Before & Afters are a must:

I should really know this by now, BUT with every single project, I am reminded of how impatient I am. These doors have been quite the process. We are so busy and finding time to put a layer of paint on them has been difficult. And it has been difficult to paint in this blazing heat. Thanks to Jay for getting up before the sun to do one coat at a time. The man really doesn't stop. So pleased with the final outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment